Subscribe Us

[Beanie Review] May It Please the Court

I liked it a lot. I did feel like 12 episodes was a little too short considering how it felt like they edited down a lot, so the audience has to make some extra connections, and it almost feels like whiplash. There were some unanswered questions. There were a couple times when I felt like the drama meant to do more with a character given the way it was set up, but they didn’t, and I don’t think they had the room to. Given that the drama takes places using the same few locations and always showing the same few people, this feels like a production on a tight budget and must finish with 12 episodes.

I think they could have flesh it out to 16, but given the heinous crimes of the corrupt former cops, I’m also glad to not have to spend more time on how they’ve hurt people and destroyed families. State-sanctioned police brutality is not just a thing of the past. Sometimes kdrama indulge too much into the brutality that makes it hard to watch (i.e. Taxi Driver), and this drama just quickly goes through it and is like “you get the point, right? This dude sucks.”

The drama knocked it out of the park with the casting. Jung Ryeo-won and Lee Kyu-hyung had great chemistry and were really cute and funny together. There was a snap in their repartee that makes me feel like this is a friends-to-lovers drama. I squee over them so much. Kim Sang-ho is always riveting. Kim Hye-eun plays the law firm CEO’s wife and she was charismatic here and feels like she should have played a bigger role. Even Park So-jin’s character felt like she could have been given more scenes. Lee Sang-hee made a cop role that could have been annoying palatable.

Despite flaws, I thoroughly enjoyed the drama and the ending. It definitely did not overstay its welcome, which many dramas do. I’m a little disappointed that it only appear in streaming in korea. Also the OST is fantastic. Silver lining is my favorite.



[Beanie Review] May It Please the Court
Source: Buzz Pinay Daily

Post a Comment

0 Comments