Subscribe Us

[Beanie Recs] Classic K-drama melos

I haven’t watched many that I would put in this category, and I have also not been into dramas for all that long, so take “classic” with a grain of salt here, but:

Rain or Shine is one that comes to mind. It’s about two people falling in love while they heal from a (shared) traumatic event, and dealing with the after-effects of that event including their own survivor’s guilt.

Chocolate is another that might fit the “melo” category – complex family dynamics, slow-burn romance, tragic side-stories (it’s set largely in a hospice, so lots of folks are near their end), trauma to overcome, etc. Loved the main cast here.

And then, do folks count My Ajusshi as a melo? If so, it’s my favorite (currently my third favorite drama I’ve seen). A young woman and a middle-aged man in bleak but wildly different circumstances collide. She learns how to be a person and exist in the world without constantly looking over her shoulder, he wakes up and tries to figure out what he values and what he wants his life to look like. It’s totally beautiful and heart-wrenching and I want Lee Sun-kyun to read me a bedtime story every night. Some people found it a tough watch, but mostly it felt incredibly hopeful to me.



[Beanie Recs] Classic K-drama melos
Source: Buzz Pinay Daily

Post a Comment

0 Comments