Subscribe Us

You can only pick one: Drama with the best OST




You can only pick one: Drama with the best OST


You can only pick one, and boy the pressure is on. The DB team will answer a new prompt in each post, and you’re invited to do the same in the comments. Ready to play?
 

You can only pick one drama with the best OST


 
missvictrix: No hesitation in my response: Happiness! For someone who admittedly only pays attention to OSTs long enough to cringe (sorry guys), Happiness’s OST was amazing from opening credits to ending credits to everything in between. You know the music is good when you simply cannot separate a drama’s story from the music it was set to, and vice versa: you can’t hear the music without all the emotions of the drama. Happiness is a drama that breaks all my rules: I don’t like OSTs, I don’t like creepy neighbors, and I definitely don’t like zombies. But this drama somehow made it all work in a way that was amazing. It’s become one of my favorites.

quirkycase: I find more often than not that when it comes to OSTs, a song or two from a drama will make an impression, but not the soundtrack as a whole. However, there’s one soundtrack that has always stuck with me and remains one of the most memorable, unique OSTs I’ve come across. The 2011 drama Me Too Flower may have been pretty meh, but its soundtrack is anything but. It’s the rare OST that I’ve listened to all the way through multiple times. It’s surprisingly eclectic and indie in its vibe, ranging from jazzy to punky to funky to pop-y. I’m convinced the great soundtrack is the main reason I finished that drama – well, that and Yoon Shi-yoon.

Unit: This was one tough pick because there were a number of dramas popping up in my head for this prompt. But after many permutations and substitutions, the last two standing were Dal-li and Gamjatang and It’s Okay to Not Be Okay. It’s Okay to Not Be Okay wins by a small margin because… I think we all know why. *wink* Oppa aside, “Breathe” and “Lighting Up Your World” from the It’s Okay OST are two of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard.

Dramaddictally: I’m really picky about music and while many OSTs have a song here or there that I like, it’s rare that I find an entire soundtrack that I want to listen to. For whatever reason, the Just Between Lovers OST is still the one I can play on repeat from start to finish and — if I have to pick only one — there’s no contest. Part of it, I’m sure, has to do with how I connect the music to the drama, but there’s something about the melancholic mood it sets too. It feels like rainy day music, in the best kind of way, but also gives an uplifting feeling as well. When I think about it, it’s a little like the drama itself in that sense.

alathe: Have I picked this one before? Yes indeed. Do I nonetheless maintain that Hwayugi (A Korean Odyssey) has an absolutely flawless soundtrack? The likes of which no other soundtrack besides one (see below) can compare? Absolutely. Every bar of “If We Were Destined” is a precisely-tuned kick to the heart; those gorgeous, tinkly piano notes in the intro were all I could hum in my head for weeks. Never has there been a greater character song than “Let Me Out” — it’s defiant and satisfying as hell. As for “When I Saw You”? Be still my heart! That said, my favorite had to be “If You Were Me,” because it’s just so musically interesting: fast-paced but mournful, and haunting beyond words. The best moment of the entire show is when our heroine meets our hero’s eyes from across the street, holding the bell charm that signifies their doomed romance, as “If You Were Me” peals out… iconic! That said, for those of you who rightfully judge that having my One Pick be a drama I’ve selected for another category goes against the spirit of Only Picking One, I have an honorable mention… Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People. I defy you to hear “Spring in Ikhwari” without loudly joining in! Not only is it a brilliant song — it also wins for being a perfect symbol of resistance and solidarity. There’s a common thread here: every song I’ve mentioned was used deftly, in a way that harmonized perfectly with the action onscreen.

 
RELATED POSTS



You can only pick one: Drama with the best OST
Source: Buzz Pinay Daily

Post a Comment

0 Comments