Subscribe Us

Open Thread #754

Except for the (in my opinion) ugly neologism, lookism is nothing new, nor is the double standard for older men and older women. I really hate to hear of young people requesting plastic surgery, though. Reporting from Southern California, which I still think as somewhat trend-setting, I can say that if many of those Korean girls temporarily moved here, they might find disturbing the white American male culture that often fetishes Asian women, but they also might rethink surgery to look a way that is currently in vogue in Korea (with Southern Californian young men of all ethnicities crushing on, for example, the spectacularly beautiful snowboarder Chloe Kim, who sets a difficult standard, but certainly not pale, small faced or even long hair). As for beauty standards for older women, I see this changing where I live as well, as society as whole ages. Women know a lot more about this than I do, obviously (!), and can set me straight if I’m clueless. But around here, I see fewer older blondes walking around, and many more attractive gray-haired women. (Who, I must stress, I give just the tiniest of a second side glance to ONLY for the purposes of sociological study). I’m wondering if the beauty ideals of older Korean actresses might move away from the “vampire” look in a way that appeals to a global older audience.



Open Thread #754
Source: Buzz Pinay Daily

Post a Comment

0 Comments