Subscribe Us

[Drama Chat] Your gateway drama

My Girl (2005)

In 2007, my eldest sister stumbled across it on Youtube. She enjoyed it so much, she made us watch it, and we got sucked in too.

It was our first time watching some East Asian (after Oshin as wee little kids), and everything was so fascinating! From Lee Dong-wook’s flawless skin and slim fingers, Lee Jun-gi’s feminine beauty (the original flower boy) and cool martial arts, a very cute Hwang Bo-ra, the snow, the invisible makeup, a robot vaccum cleaner (sorry Park Shi-yeon, that robot was more interesting than you were), the dichotomy between the western clothes and traditional customs, and most of all, a witty and naughty Lee Da-hae (where’s she, she was such a great actress).

The Hong sisters wove magic with the push and pull, the angst (god such angst), will they won’t they cliffhangers, damn the 64 Kbps internet, you’d have to hunt and buffer the next ⅙th part of the episode to find out.

I read the little information that was there on Wikipedia back then, downloaded the episodes so I could rewatch them, and boy did I rewatch so many times. But to find another subbed drama was a lot of work with a stuttering internet, so I gave up, but never got over the fascination.

So the next drama was way later in 2012, when I searched again for Korean dramas on YouTube, and saw a song from Goong. I downloaded it from a torrent (with some missing subs, alas) and binged the whole thing overnight. And i wanted MOAR.

A few dramas later, hunting for more of My Princess (2011)’s cute fluffy fun, I came across Dramabeans, and oh Javabeans and Girlfriday’s wit and humour was as addicting as the dramas. Not to mention the hilarious beanies comments under most of Song Seung-heon’s posts, that era on Dramabeans crackled with such wicked humour. Those were indeed great carefree times.



[Drama Chat] Your gateway drama
Source: Buzz Pinay Daily

Post a Comment

0 Comments