Subscribe Us

[Fix That Ending] Making Memories of the Alhambra more memorable




[Fix That Ending] Making Memories of the Alhambra more memorable


By @mianmianl

One drama whose ending I felt was somehow underutilized yet underrated at the same time was Memories of the Alhambra. The cast seemed so promising. Hyun Bin. Need I say more? And Park Shin-hye was huge at that time. And yet…

I was enraptured with the world from the get go. I’m not a huge sci-fi drama fan, but the concept of having a game world that you could interact with was amazing, and the setting was beautiful as well. I couldn’t care less for the OTP (the actors were great as previously stated, but I always preferred them more as business partners/enemies), and it was perfect for a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it supporting start for Lee Jae-wook.

But the ending. The ENDING. I could never get over how a simple, simple fix could do wonders for that drama in my mind.

Even though it was an imperfect drama, I was so upset with how much of a wet blanket Park Shin-hye’s character ended up being. For someone who was supposed to be this strong and resilient character, how could she do, well, absolutely nothing during the time jump at the end of the drama? Hyun Bin has “disappeared” into the game and she just sat around? Of course, in the final moments of the drama there’s a hint that Hyun Bin might be back, but the ending left me with one feeling only: that’s it!?

It fell flat for me, when one simple scene could’ve fixed it for me.

After the time jump, the game finally gets released to the masses and people start playing it.

The game boots up.

There’s a notice that a mysterious high-level player has shown up (Hyun Bin, of course, which we know but no one in the drama knows).

But then you see Park Shin-hye. She’s all dressed in black, with a baseball cap over her [perfectly styled, of course] hair.

She pulls out a gun, which only a high-level player can have. Because, in the years of hiatus before the game had been released, she hasn’t been sitting there doing nothing. She’s been playing the game, leveling up herself.

We see her look through the viewfinder and she sees something that makes her eyes widen in astonishment.

End of scene.

End of show.

 
RELATED POSTS



[Fix That Ending] Making Memories of the Alhambra more memorable
Source: Buzz Pinay Daily

Post a Comment

0 Comments