Subscribe Us

[Drama chat] The changing role of violence in K-dramas

Violence is a part of real life, and at its best, quality entertainment both reflects and embellishes reality in such a way that we learn and extend our understanding of all human experience. It also makes me squeamish in many cases (for example, last night I couldn’t get through “Someone” because there’s a scene involving an injured cat) but in others, I find it to be an effective and exciting way to tell a story (for example, I loved both “Squid Game” and “DP”).

I can’t speak to whether or not kdramas have grown more violent as a reflection of Western drama or just because as time has passed, the general trend has been for media to showcase an increased level of violence. As an American who has opted out of many an American show because they’re too violent, I still don’t agree with those who blame Netflix for the fact that kdrama has grown more violent and gory. For every “My Name” or “Sweet Home,” there’s a “Hello, Me” or “Dear My Friends” or “Chicago Typewriter,” (all on Netflix US) so to me, the evolution of kdrama or the supposed Westernization is really about all entertainment companies wanting to tell a balance of stories which, to my mind, is never a bad thing.

The issue I sometimes have with kdramas in particular is that there seems to be a stubborn refusal to expand how sex, sexual identity, sexual assault, and gender identity are portrayed, even as many dive headlong into embracing ever more explicit depictions of blood, gore, and other types of violence.

Just as with violence, topics related to sex and gender can easily cross over into the realm of gratuitous and exploitative, but they are key parts of human experience. So it can be frustrating to see creators and conglomerates embrace depictions of serial killers, gun violence, and buckets of blood pouring from all orifices, while simultaneously balking at a proper kiss scene, or depicting gay relationships or people as more than foils/best friends to straight people who either a) are pushed aside to show how their unknowing spouse or lover (see “My Unfamiliar Family”) is the real victim we should care about b) exist only to support their (straight) friends and appear unable to have real romantic relationships of their own (because the writer can’t/won’t depict them).

Note that I’m not advocating for explicit sex and nudity in kdramas, unless, of course, it makes sense for the story being told. But I am confused as to why explicit violence seems to be acceptable and more realistic depictions of sex and sexual identity are not.



[Drama chat] The changing role of violence in K-dramas
Source: Buzz Pinay Daily

Post a Comment

0 Comments