Subscribe Us

Open Thread #785

Secret children/siblings/etc keep popping up in kdramaland and I like to make snarky comments about their prevalence, so I need to make something clear. I do not have a secret father and am not a long-lost son, no matter what someone once said.

Years ago (think 1980s) I got a phone call from some some old guy who asked my name and then said he was my long-lost father. At the time my father was still alive and we were in frequent contact, so I just told the guy he wasn’t my father and ended the call without asking about his story. Not sure if he was some kind of scammer or if there was some real heartbreak there. And FWIW, I resemble my real father enough so I’m sure there isn’t some non-standard story in my actual parentage.

Also, I know someone (not related) who was the secret sibling. Seems there was this guy who married, had a kid, divorced, then remarried and never told his new family that the old family existed. New kids found out from his effects after he died, and got in touch.

All this in America among persons of European ancestry. So our truth can be just as makjang-y as Korean fiction, it’s just that we don’t obsess about it so much in our mainstream fiction. I don’t watch American soaps but I guess we keep our fictional family secrets safely tucked away there where I’ll never see them (??).



Open Thread #785
Source: Buzz Pinay Daily

Post a Comment

0 Comments