Subscribe Us

Open Thread #782

Hello my fellow beanies

I wanted to write something to say thank you – I have so little time to come on here and get involved, but am forever indebted to you all 😊

Almost exactly 4 years ago today, as reminded by my Google timeline showing me a saved picture of Go Ah Ra, I saw my first ever K-drama by complete accident and immediately fell down the crazy beautiful rabbit hole of K-drama. Black was the first K-drama I ever saw and left a big impression, and I dug out Dramabeans back in October 2018 to try and make sense of it all. And get some recommendations on what to watch next.

Thanks to Dramamad, DelSatu, Becky, Korfan, Ally, bong-soo, mugyuljoie is preciousss, coolgirl, Omo omo omo, tsutsuloo and lots of others for replying to my early comments and getting the ball rolling on what to watch. I watched all of your recs and plenty more besides.

I can safely say my life has changed these past 4 years. I have watched something around 200 dramas now (tracked of course on the indispensable MDL), have been on trip of a lifetime to Seoul and the amazing Nami Island (Winter Sonata), learnt (or at least learning) a new language, and have been taken to emotional places that I never thought television was previously capable of. Small moments live in my mind forever – the joy of Park Min Young’s dancing scene in Healer, the “shoe scene” in Misaeng, the epilogue of Melancholia, the gut-wrench ending of Smile Has Left Your Eyes… And OMG when the chemistry fizzes off the screen, like in Something in the Rain, Secret Garden, Fated to Love You, it is surely heaven sent.

Some of my 10/10 scores on MDL for : My Mister, Misaeng, Live, Healer, Dear My Friends, Age of Youth (first series is best), Goblin (the only drama I’ve watched 3 times through). I’ll give a particularly special mention to “The Light in Your Eyes”, which has quite the most incredible, audacious surprise reveal I have ever seen in my life – that turns the entire show on its head and made me think of certain things in a new light.

So thank you again. Thanks to you for helping bring all of the above into my life. Thanks to you my 9 year old daughter wears a Kim Bok Joo “SWAG” t-shirt. Thanks to you for my having soju in my fridge. 감사합니다!



Open Thread #782
Source: Buzz Pinay Daily

Post a Comment

0 Comments